Search This Blog

Friday, December 12, 2008

I've Had It Up to Here and I Just Won't Take it Anymore

Dear Mr. Hurd (CEO of Hewlett-Packard),

I spent two-and-a-half hours on the phone last night for the second time in a month because my printer/scanner will not work. It's still broken, a software problem, I'm told. Piyush in New Delhi had to get off the phone last night because he was going into overtime and has promised to call me back today.

I have this scanner because my last two did not work either. So I bought a recycled scanner, paid around $70 in order to talk with someone in New Delhi for as long as I like, and paid another $50 in order to get a new scanner delivered should this one break.

My HP laptop loses power because the place where you insert the cord is loose. I'd send it in, but HP wants $400 to fix it. So I'm backing up all my information to an online source, after which I'll probably dump the computer and the printer/scanner.

Or I could send it in to HP so that they can sell it to another schmuck as "recycled," thus ensuring Piyush job security in New Delhi.

I'm thoroughly disgusted. I have an article due today with photos I needed to scan to send in to my editor. I will miss this deadline. Thank you, HP, for all your help.

Sincerely,

Elodie Prichartt
loyal customer for 10 years

Hewlett-Packard Photosmart C5180 All-in-One Scanner/Printer

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ridiculous. Whatever happened to local service centers, anyway?

Anonymous said...

Bet duck tape would fix that thing right up.

Bubba's Repear Center
Leed Technishin

P.S. Bubba's PC installs rope starters for all makes and modles of computrs. We use only the best nilon ropes. When all aelse fails, yank on the rope.

Elodious said...

Esha! Hey, girl! Good to see you here. Honestly, I don't know what happened to service. You'd think with the economy in the tank and all, they'd be a little more attentive to details.

Don't get me wrong. I thought Piyush was awfully nice and I wouldn't want to begrudge him a job, but they're laying people off right and left here in this country, and that's part of the reason.

My computer has now shut down completely and will not restart. I had to go borrow my boyfriend's computer to finish my story. Guess I know what I'll be asking for for Xmas this year. An IMac.

Elodious said...

Oh, and as for local repair centers? If you call HP and find out it's a hardware problem? They tell you there's nothing that can be done. All you can do is buy an "upgrade." They offer to send you a box and pay for shipping to ship the old one to them on the pretext that it's toxic waste and only they should handle it.

But what they're really doing is getting the old equipment, fixing it and selling it as an "upgrade" to the next schmuck who calls in with a problem.

And that's the truth. They even tell you that the new equipment you're getting at a "discount" is a refurbished machine that they swear is just as good as new.

So far, I've gone through three scanners in six months.

Michael V said...

HP Software is the most cumbersome, bloated crap on the market. Only HP would actually show you the bitrate of the installation....as if you cared. Of course it gives you something to look at for the 10 minutes that it takes to install their junk.
To make it worse, if you have XP and you lose your install CD, good luck downloading it from the website!
(thanks for letting me rant here. any chance to slam HP is great)